Our research found that
- 3 in 5 young people have experienced, or know someone who has experienced, intimate relationship abuse
- 1 in 5 young women have suffered intimate relationship abuse
- 51% of young women affected experienced the abuse under the age of 18
- 1 in 3 young women never spoke to anyone about the abuse they experienced.
Of the young women who had suffered abuse:
- 1 in 6 young women have suffered coercive control
- 1 in 2 experienced online abuse
- 9 out of 10 were subjected to emotional abuse.
- 3 in 4 were sexually coerced. Over half (51%) were sexually assaulted and 27% were raped.
- 1 in 2 were threatened with physical violence or experienced ‘less severe’ physical abuse e.g. slapping, shoving. 1 in 3 had experienced more ‘severe’ forms of physical abuse e.g. punching, choking, burning.
- Almost 1 in 3 were subjected to financial abuse.